Ole Miss’ Chambliss sues NCAA for extra year of eligibility

Ole Miss’ Chambliss sues NCAA for extra year of eligibility

Mississippi quarterback Trinidad Chambliss sued the NCAA in state court Friday for an additional year of eligibility so he can play for the Rebels next season.

The suit filed in Lafayette County came a week after the NCAA denied Ole Miss’ request for an extra year, saying the university and Chambliss’ previous school — Ferris State — failed to provide adequate medical documentation to back up the request.

The lawsuit filed Friday called the NCAA’s denial in “bad-faith, unreasonable and arbitrary,” and detailed Chambliss’ history of illness and included letters from physicians.

“Despite the duty of good faith and fair dealing it owes to Trinidad, the NCAA insists on considering the evidence in Trinidad’s case in an isolated, rather than comprehensive manner; interpreting its rules to impose requirements not contained therein; taking unreasonable if not irrational positions; and acting in an arbitrary and capricious manner in its decision-making and ruling,” the suit says.

Ole Miss’ arguments revolve around the fact that the 23-year-old Chambliss, although he has been in college for five years, has only played three years of college football because of that medical history.

“Trinidad first enrolled in Ferris State in the fall of 2021, but medical and physical incapacity prevented his ability to adequately train and condition and develop athletically,” the suit says.

After taking a redshirt his first season at Ferris State in 2021-22, Chambliss was held out in his second season for medical reasons.

“Obviously, Trinidad’s medical conditions, which rendered him incapable of competing in any game during these years, were beyond his or Ferris State’s control,” the suit says.

He played two more seasons at the Division II school in Michigan, leading the Bulldogs to a national championship before transferring to Ole Miss before the start of this season.

Chambliss completed 294 of 445 passes (66.1%) for 3,937 yards with 22 touchdowns and three interceptions for Ole Miss (13-2), which set a school record for wins, including two after making the College Football Playoff for the first time. He ran for 527 yards and eight more TDs.

The Rebels lost 31-27 to Miami in the College Football Playoff semifinals on Jan. 8.

The NCAA, when contacted Friday, did not have a new statement, but referred to its statement from a week ago saying “This decision aligns with consistent application of NCAA rules.”

The NCAA said in that week-old statement that approval of such waivers requires schools to submit medical documentation from a treating physician at the time of a student’s incapacitating injury or illness.

“The documents provided by Ole Miss and the student’s prior school include a physician’s note from a December 2022 visit, which stated the student-athlete was ‘doing very well’ since he was seen in August 2022,” the NCAA said. “Additionally, the student-athlete’s prior school indicated it had no documentation on medical treatment, injury reports or medical conditions involving the student-athlete during that time frame and cited ‘developmental needs and our team’s competitive circumstances’ as its reason the student-athlete did not play in the 2022-23 season.”

Ole Miss athletic director Keith Carter previously said the school will appeal the NCAA’s ruling.

You can view the original article HERE.

No Preview
Selena Gomez Calls Her Husband ‘Sweet, Sweet’ And 1.3 Million People Agree
No Preview
Megan Thee Stallion’s Ice-Cold Tease Has Listeners Guessing What Comes Next
No Preview
Dua Lipa Says Surviving New York City Summer Heat Is an Olympic Sport
No Preview
Adam Scott’s Birthday Tribute To Naomi Scott Is Pure Unfiltered Adoration
DESPINA MIROU: THE IMPERSONATION QUEEN OF COMEDY
DESPINA MIROU: THE IMPERSONATION QUEEN OF COMEDY
Despina Mirou Ranks Among Top Global Contenders in Johnny Depp’s “The People’s Artist”
Despina Mirou Ranks Among Top Global Contenders in Johnny Depp’s “The People’s Artist”
Short Films in Focus: Trapped (with Sam Cutler-Kreutz)
Short Films in Focus: Trapped (with Sam Cutler-Kreutz)
Hulu’s “The Testaments” Returns to Gilead For Another Timely Tale About Privilege and Complicity 
Hulu’s “The Testaments” Returns to Gilead For Another Timely Tale About Privilege and Complicity 
No Preview
Townies share new song ‘Wednesday’ in response to Wednesday’s ‘Townies’
No Preview
Watch Kurt Vile join Fontaines D.C. on stage for ‘Roman Holiday’ at La Route Du Rock
No Preview
Marvel reveal new ‘X-Men’ cast, including Adam Driver as Mister Sinister
No Preview
Full credits to Phoebe Bridgers’ ‘Lost Weekend’ show Alex G, Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker, Conor Oberst, and “Son-John Johnson” (believed to be Cameron Winter)
No Preview
What Caleb Wooden’s addition means for Arkansas football 2026 defense
No Preview
Bears’ Bryant out 4-6 months after knee surgery
No Preview
Scheffler shoots 61 to take 3-shot lead in Memphis in playoff opener
No Preview
Falcons’ Stefanski: Sample too small to grade Tua’s tough opener
No Preview
Dead City Season 3 Episode 4 Review: Is Maggie Getting a New Love Interest?
No Preview
How Reacher, All American & Ted Lasso Gave Us Characters Worth Rooting For
No Preview
Big Brother Spoilers: Veto Winner Could Set Up Major Chaos This Week
No Preview
Anna Pigeon Season 1 Episode 2 Finds Its Footing and Puts Down Roots
No Preview
Everything You Need To Know About Lavazza’s Groundbreaking New Product Tablì
No Preview
ITA to Return to Coterie to Showcase the Best of “Made In Italy”
No Preview
A New Face at Centric Brands, The Society Gets Into Sports,
No Preview
The New RSVP: Why High Performers Are Demanding More From Their Social Lives